Main Menu

New game adaptations

Started by Petari, 05-09-2022, 21:33:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Petari

Setz-Ab - Blockout for monochrome . Maybe deserves more standard controls.
Last Arcadian - with improved contrast opt.
Nowe Przygody Gilberta - Polish g.
Asterix in Dungeons of Doom - GEM using.
Astro 2000
Dugger
Electronic Pool - C-M .
Computer Scrabble - together with Deluxe v. What seems same, just different release ?  C-M  .
Col-Tris - one of better Tetris variants.
Lektvar  - Czech adv. with nice graphic .

TheNameOfTheGame

Thanks Peter, nice to see Computer Scrabble adapted!
  •  

TheNameOfTheGame

Having an issue with Astro 2000 under Hatari.  It runs good with Steem.

Under Hatari, the game hangs with a black screen and the terminal reports:

WARN : Bus Error reading at address $d0, PC=$3f552 addr_e3=3f552 op_e3=4cdf

Unfortunately I can't get to the debugger since the emulator is totally locked up by that point.

Were you able to test with Hatari on your end?

Also, with Computer Scrabble I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but when I start the game (Steem/Hatari US/UK TOS 4MB) and enter at least 2 names as the game won't be started otherwise then the strangest thing happens.  The game goes on auto-pilot and the two names I entered play against each other under computer control.  I never get a chance to control either player.  Not sure if this is some copy-protection or something else.
  •  

Petari

Well, I would call that problem with Hatari problem of Hatari. I had similar Hatari crashes plenty of times. With diverse games. Not sure that me testing it with Hatari will help in finding the cause. What can help is to look what is at that location with Steem Debugger - and write about it to Hatari team.

I had same thing with Computer Scrabble. After some tries I found this: when start to play immediately then computer do not take over control. Would be good to find instructions for game ...

Petari

Pac Attack - Pacman with larger levels (vertical scroll)
World Cricket - Sport management in Cinemaware style .
Return of Medusa
Centipede (SD) - mouse control, and that's good .
Rocket Racer - maybe would be easier to control with mouse .
Rainbow Warrior - 6 simple games about environment preservation .

TheNameOfTheGame

Quote from: Petari on 28-11-2022, 11:17:20Well, I would call that problem with Hatari problem of Hatari. I had similar Hatari crashes plenty of times. With diverse games. Not sure that me testing it with Hatari will help in finding the cause. What can help is to look what is at that location with Steem Debugger - and write about it to Hatari team.

I had same thing with Computer Scrabble. After some tries I found this: when start to play immediately then computer do not take over control. Would be good to find instructions for game ...

Oh sure, I agree it should be a Hatari problem.  I may have an idea of how to find out where it locks Hatari so I can talk to the Hatari team.  It is good for Hatari to fix these game issues as they come up.  Well hopefully it can be done.  ;D

Quote from: Petari on 28-11-2022, 11:24:51Pac Attack - Pacman with larger levels (vertical scroll)
World Cricket - Sport management in Cinemaware style .
Return of Medusa
Centipede (SD) - mouse control, and that's good .
Rocket Racer - maybe would be easier to control with mouse .
Rainbow Warrior - 6 simple games about environment preservation .

Thanks for the new adaptations!  Good titles. 

Btw, are you still looking to make an English version of Return of Medusa?

Great job on your youtube videos for the releases.  They are looking fantastic!
  •  

Petari

Jeff:  I looked it in Steem Debugger:

rts                                              ; 03F552: 4E75
   movem.l d1-7/a0-6,-(a7)                          ; 03F554: 48E7 7FFE
   lea +$38(pc),a0 {$03F592}                        ; 03F558: 41FA 0038
   bclr #$0,(a0)                                    ; 03F55C: 0890 0000
   beq.s +8 {$03F56A}                               ; 03F560: 6708
   bsr.s +12 {$03F570}                              ; 03F562: 610C
   bsr .l +$19a {$03F700}                           ; 03F564: 6100 019A
   bsr.s +24 {$03F582}                              ; 03F568: 6118
   movem.l (a7)+,d1-7/a0-6                          ; 03F56A: 4CDF 7FFE
   rts                                              ; 03F56E: 4E75
   clr.l -(a7)                                      ; 03F570: 42A7
   move.w #$20,-(a7)                                ; 03F572: 3F3C 0020
   trap #1                                          ; 03F576: 4E41
   addq.l #6,a7                                     ; 03F578: 5C8F
   lea +$18(pc),a4 {$03F594}                        ; 03F57A: 49FA 0018
   move.l d0,(a4)                                   ; 03F57E: 2880
   rts                                              ; 03F580: 4E75

This is probably lower than how you ran it in Hatari (depends from TOS version under what run). Basepage is at $AA52 (address is at $5622 in TOS 1.04 in RAM). So, you can see if there is some start pos. diff.
Probably it is movem.l ... instruction at  $03F56A (code $4CDF) .  In Steem works fine, as well with real HW .

Return of Medusa translation will wait couple weeks.
  •  

TheNameOfTheGame

Thanks, Peter, I will check this out.

Btw, for Computer Scrabble, there is a notes.txt from Klaz's ULS release.

GAMEPLAY
--------
Select "new game" from the menu.
Enter a name and when asked for the level of play, enter 0 for a
human player or 1 - 8 for a computer controlled opponent.
Up to 4 players (human and/or computer) are allowed.

The game will accept *any* word you enter, it will just ask you
whether you're sure about your word when it can't find the word in
its dictionary. So play fair. ;-)

To use one of the blank wildcard tiles hold SHIFT pressed while
entering the letter the blank tile should represent.

So I entered level 0 for player 1 and then can play the game as a human :).
  •  

Petari

Slaygon - and there is one famous game too - it is on part of second floppy by original release.
Footballer of the Year 2 - for football weeks now .
Magic Story Book - story compozer for little kids.
Key to Atlantis - and 2 more SEUCK games - Caverns of Nerak and TEMON .
Ballbuster - seems hard game.

Petari

European Championship 1992 - Football with animated intro .
Fraction Action - Little math for little kids. Color and monochrome mode.
Exodrom - Vertical shooter for SM124 ..
Barre l'intrus - In 5 languages .
Gold of the Americas - When I went in school there was 1 America. Now we have 2 ..
Shutdown - Game with low ratings, but I think that's solid.

Petari

Deluxe Nostram
Dweabys Quest - less known, low budget EPYX game .
Mouth Trap - many levels.
Rune - barely known 3D adv.
Dangerous Mission - monochrome game with nice intro.
Sam in Monsters Land - STE only game with plenty of levels (200 ?) . And it uses STE new features well.

I was on doing Back to the Future 2  and  Drivin' Force . But both suffer from slow code. In BTTF3 first part was playable well, but too repetitive. Then second part, duck shooting was just unplayable because big joystick lag, what makes accurate shooting impossible. I went thru with some cheat, and part 3 seemed not good too, so aborted it.  Drivin' Force has frame rate of some 5 fps (while Amiga v. is advertised with some 50 fps). Too choppy for good play experience, despite good graphic.

TheNameOfTheGame

Thanks Peter, some good releases there.  I never knew about Rune.  Looks really good, but being in French I have no idea what is going on  :).

Deluxe Nostram looks like they ripped the graphics from GODS, but then the flip-scrolling.... ;D

Btw, the file archive for Mouth Trap has a game folder inside the game folder.  Is that how you intended it?

P.S.  I still think Drivin' Force would be a good release even with the low framerate.  Might be playable on a MSTE at 16Mhz or with an Adspeed accelerator.
  •  

Petari

I always make ZIPs with folder in ZIP - so is easier to unpack - no need to type folder name. Others are same. Only that I added outside folder for Atari hard disks one jpg picture (LFN filename). Because Mouth Trap was in 4 game collection (Games Galore by Mandarin SW), and that pic is advert for it. But did not find other 3 so good.

Yep, Drivin' Force is worth of doing it. If nothing else, on TT will be fast enough :-)
  •  

Petari

Drivin' Force is done by me, in 2015 - but files are on my old computer, so I did not see it :-(
Drivin' Force
  •  

TheNameOfTheGame

Nice, fun little game.  Appears to have decent update on Steem and Hatari with 8Mhz.  Didn't have any issues with the speed.  The game does seems a little unpolished in the graphics area, but reminds me a lot of the game Power Drift in regards to what they were trying to do there.  I am having more fun with it using the joystick mode.  Mouse mode was a little unforgiving.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays and Joyous New Year to you and yours and to all Atarians!  ;D
  •