Main Menu

520 STE

Started by Petari, 22-12-2022, 09:15:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Petari

I can not leave it without comment. Some 'genius' at AA (forum for such people) just wrote that 520 STE should have never existed. Then that SW for STE needed mostly min 1 MB RAM.
I can say with confidence that later is not true. Most of games using STE enhanced capabilities work with half MB RAM (from floppy). And there was plenty of SW for ST needing min 1 MB RAM before STE .

So, poor buyer of 520 STE got some SW needing 1 MB RAM, and then looked around what can do. Really simple case: going in shop and buy SIMM modules. Step 2: get screwdriver, open STE and add modules. Or replacing them to 1 MB ones, so can have 2 or 4 MB . 10 minutes of work, no soldering needed :-)

Funny thing that no reply there talking about much easier RAM expansion in STE. I never saw 1040 STE. Not sure that it was sold at all as it. Right because easy expansion. Plus, in 1989 1 MB was not so impressive.

I expanded my ST to 2.5 MB then, and it needed making PCB for expansion, lot of soldering.
  •  

TheNameOfTheGame

Yes, the STE was an improvement in several ways over the ST(FM) platform - SIMM module usage being one.

Btw, I have a 1040STE so it was released at some point at least in the USA.
  •  

masteries

Quote from: Petari on 22-12-2022, 09:15:39I can not leave it without comment. Some 'genius' at AA (forum for such people) just wrote that 520 STE should have never existed. Then that SW for STE needed mostly min 1 MB RAM.
I can say with confidence that later is not true. Most of games using STE enhanced capabilities work with half MB RAM (from floppy). And there was plenty of SW for ST needing min 1 MB RAM before STE

oh my God!

Personally, my second machine is a 520 STE, originally fitted with 512 KB RAM

The machine still has the 520 STE label,
despite its amount of RAM is 4 MB now :)

Probably the 520 STE label is the best proof
of 520 STE existence   ;D

Metal Slug for Atari STE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyRBcTnn-5M
Metal Slug for Megadrive/Genesis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDpg9luIOtM
  •  

Petari

Well, nobody said that there was no 520 STE. Just was written that 'should never existed' .
Yeah, we could say that for zillion of products. But just because we don't like it, don't see that it was good for it's time it does not mean that everyone thought so.
Actually if think better - if they'd release only 1040ST in 1989 it would result in SW developers care less for people with only half MB RAM, and they would make more games needing 1 MB, and not using STE enhanced capabilities :-) Sounds absurd ? Yes. And yet, absurd things happened then, happen now (more than ever, I guess).
  •