Adaptation of games continues ..

Started by Anemos, 04-11-2010, 15:57:50

Previous topic - Next topic

blaylok

hello as well

would it also be possible to get a hard drive adaptation of Maniac Mansion, and Cannon Fodder?

thanks petari

cheers

blaylok
  •  

johnz

thank you my friend for big run and renegade ^^.
there is another unknown game for st that will be cool to test. it's victory road ( ikari warrior 2 ). there is also shinobi, eswat.

i also wanted to know if it was possible to gamex atari falcon games in order to speed them all?
  •  

Petari

Gamex is not for speeding up games. It is mostly for making possible exiting game at any point, and saving gamestate. So, may continue later from that point with few mouse clicks, very fast.
There is only option to set CPU speed and cache by start. If your Falcon is already set on max speed, then games will run with it. And it is default case after resetting Falcon. Actually, speed set is needed mostly for slowing down Falcon to 8 MHz by some games.
  •  

johnz

on my mega ste it makes run games in a faster and smoother way ^^
  •  

Petari

By Mega STE is opposite than by Falcon. Default speed is 8 MHz, after reset. To get 16MHz need some util what sets it. There are couple short programs, usually named 16MHZ or similar for that. Gamex launchers just set to 16MHz on Mega STE before starting game - when it is good for playing (according to my tests), or when user sets it, after pressing key M.
  •  

johnz

crash'n'burn. renegade crashes on my falcon :-(
  •  

Anemos

renegade,and all others last games working good on my STE 4mb.
My system: Atari STE 4MB, OS: SuperTOS 2.06, HD: US/disk 4gb SDcard ,ppera v0.98 HD drivers, USB mouse adapter by me, PSX controller joy adapter by me,  full list of adaption,s games by Petari.
Second Atari machine: 1040 STF
Other: 2X Lilliput Atari 130 XE
  •  

Petari

Quote from: johnz on 05-01-2011, 19:09:39
crash'n'burn. renegade crashes on my falcon :-(

Limitation on Falcon is: running from partition of max size 512 MB, as stays here:
http://atari.8bitchip.info/GamexUsage.html

The reason for this is that many of games work not on Falcon (and on STs with higher TOS versions) even from floppies. Renegade is one of them, and actually very badly coded. It works only with TOS 1.00 - 1.04, and only correct on English TOS versions.  As solution for TOS version problematic games I use TOS 1.04 core on Falcon, modified for 68030 CPU. It solves some other things too. But then we have 512MB partition size limit. I think that it is not so hard to partition hard disk or CF card that it has 1 or more such partitions.
As best and easiest to use I recommend to DL partitioned images :
http://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html
They are good for Falcon with IDE disks, or better CF cards.
  •  

johnz

i forget to add that the game has worked one time from the floppy then it has never reworked.
  •  

Petari

Original Renegade certainly not worked on Falcon, or even on STEs. And I did not see any crack which worked. Who knows little 68000 asm and Atari ST(E) architectures may look right at start of game why it crashed ... 
Honestly, this Taito game adaptation is made from programmer who was pretty newbie on Atari, and whole code is lame and inefficient. Unfortunately, not rare case, especially by coin-up conversions.
  •  

johnz

i was talking about your own version with low falcon setting ( alt boot ) it just has work one time.
  •  

Petari

Quote from: johnz on 07-01-2011, 20:04:19
i was talking about your own version with low falcon setting ( alt boot ) it just has work one time.

Can you give me some details:  what hard disk driver (exact version), partition sizes, hard disk type - IDE or SCSI ....
  •  

johnz

there was just the installation of hddriver with 1 go partitions. i launch the prg from the floppy and it has ran once.
i've just seen that the name of renegade has moved on the list. have you update it?
  •  

jvas

Quote from: johnz on 08-01-2011, 13:46:59
there was just the installation of hddriver with 1 go partitions. i launch the prg from the floppy and it has ran once.
i've just seen that the name of renegade has moved on the list. have you update it?

See post http://forum.8bitchip.info/software-17/adaption-games-continue/msg173/#msg173
The partition cannot be bigger than 512MB!
  •  

Petari

Quote from: johnz on 08-01-2011, 13:46:59

Did not update. It is OK. But if you need it desparately on Falcon, I can do Ramdisk variant, where will be no problems with partition sizes. Don't expect it so fast... 
I recommend that try with making one shorter partition for Falcon .
  •