Adaptation of games continues ..

Started by Anemos, 04-11-2010, 15:57:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Petari

Well, Chuck Rock and others will be updated when time for it come. There is a lot of things to solve yet.

In case of Mega STE and TT, internal hard disk is of course practical. But I usually use them with internal drive removed. Why ? Because noise, slower start. And no need to bother with copying from SD card to internal drive. Then, I need to test with diverse drivers, and to avoid constant reinstalls of drivers I can attach couple SCSI drives to machine, with Hddriver, AHDI. 
Is is usual setting that US in case of internal drive will be secondary. But it can be easily primary even without removing internal drive - sometimes you may want to test some different driver, partitioning, and it is easier to do with US instead internal drive.
Truth is that there is no really good solution for all this mess with Atari hard disks. We have AHDI, what is not DOS compatible - first problem.
We have TOS/DOS partitioning, what is likely best for people needing transfer with PC, but it requires some care. You must not using Windows long filenames, otherwise will have undeleteable fake files. Then, stupid Win XP sees only 1 partition on such Flash cards, etc. With IDE disks additional problem is byte swapping. After battle every general is smart, I know. But Atari really could do some things better.
  •  

STmartin

Hello!

Could you do hard disk adaptation of Ishar III: The Seven Gates of Infinity? This game is on five disks, so hard disk adaptation is necessary.

Regards
Martin
My Atari computers:
-Atari 520 STE, 4 MB RAM, TOS 1.06, Satandisk, SM 144 monitor
-Atari 1040 STFM, 1 MB RAM, TOS 1.02, SM 124 monitor
  •  

Petari

Ishar, all 3 parts are planned - very good games. But it will take some time, as I do new system (HAGA), compatible with all drivers, etc. THe hardest part, TOS calling game support is to be done yet, and Ishars are such.

Just updated Fire and Ice :  instead ICS crck. I used Pasti images, so now colors are good by title pics, plus 'key' protection override is for sure OK. All levels work, finisheable - and bonus level is worth of seeing  :) With cheat can finish relative fast.
  •  

Petari

New updates:  Turrican and Turrican II .
Twin World    &   Tom and the Ghost .
Chuck Rock.
F29 Retaliator - now all missions work. Thanx to Anemos for testing.
EPIC.
This are likely final updates - full working HAGA system - for this type of games.
  •  

xatari

Will you make updates for maupiti island and mortvile manor?
I would love to play those on my falcon!
  •  

Petari

Yes. Plan is to update almost everything. But it takes lot of time.
I will update Maupiti Island in days. But there is one issue, so far unsolved - minor graphic errors on Falcon and TT. I guess that it is bug in game's depacker, what happens only on 68030 CPU. Similar exists in some other games, like Parasol Stars. Fixing it may be too hard, so I will see will it remain as is. In any case, game will be playable on Falcon.  And I expect some feedback ... ::)
  •  

Petari

Maupiti Island, english version. I started to extract depacked files from disk images. And discovered that some files are corrupted. Extraction will increase otherwise slow game loadings. But I see only 1 crack of this game, and no pasti available (english v.) . All 'releases' are based, it seems, on Zippy crack. I don't know is crack bad or images went corrupted, and it is not important now. So, I stop with it now. Maybe will go on French version - there is Pasti of it online.
In any case, I completed game, better said solved crime with my adaptation, based on Zippy crack. But it was by some walkthrough, and I finished it pretty fast, while visited max some 40% of game's locations. Obvously, bad data is at other locations.
Here is updated start file, for Falcons, with any hard disk driver, min RAM 4MB.  :
http://atari.8bitchip.info/STARTF.ZIP  .
Just put it in game's DIR and run.
  •  

xatari

Wah! Thanks a lot Petari. Maupiti played fine so far.
Too bad for the graphical errors, they don't look so minor to me!
Thanks anyway  :)
  •  

Petari

I fixed Maupiti graphic bugs on 68030 (Falcon, TT - pipeline + self. mod code problem). And found likely flawless image. So, now only need to put it together and check it all ... There will be statesaves too, of course.
  •  

Petari

I updated Maupiti Island on DL page - statesaves work, graphic OK on TT, Falcon.
And Parasol Stars is updated too - now starfield is OK on TT, Falcon.
  •  

xatari

Great job Petari!
Quick test on Maupiti, seems to work great. I will test further this week.
  •  

Petari

Just solved that Vroom works on TT - insanely fast. Because it uses same depacking code as Maupiti .
So, expect soon:  Vroom, F1 Championship on Falcon and TT.  There is Vroom30 for Falcon, but nothing can replace the original  :D
  •  

èné

Hello, I quickly checked your Vroom adaptation but didn't seem to find any joystick option for the racing sequence. Well, with the mouse it's quite impossible to have a decent driving, er.. would you be agree to eventually have a look at this patch again to add a joystick feature (when you have time of course) ?
  •  

Petari

Well, you should check it less "quickly"  ;D
I just played yesterday it on Falcon, with joystick. Generally, mouse control is better, but only if you have good mouse and some experience with.
To set joystick as controller in game :  in selection screen walk down to field 'mouse' and change to 'joystick' by moving left/right (or with fire ? - I don't remember exactly). That selection works with joystick too.
  •  

èné

Are we talking about the racing mode ? Because actually a joystick/mouse option is available but only for the ARCADE mode. By selecting the racing mode, you can't reach the mouse button it seems.. Or is it me only  ???

About driving with mouse : i disagree, for strategic/adventure games, mouse is best choice, but trying to control a sprite at about 240mh with mouse is quite impossible . But it's my opinion  :) (and i do have a decent mouse)
  •