Problem with TOS/DOS compatible hard disk image

Started by STmartin, 14-04-2011, 16:11:43

Previous topic - Next topic

STmartin

I have checked 1 GB image and writing is very unstable. Sometimes it works, but usually it doesn't work. I have partitioned this card with Hddriver and writing works good. So it seems that my Atari has a problem with file system on this images. Any ideas how to solve this problem?
My Atari computers:
-Atari 520 STE, 4 MB RAM, TOS 1.06, Satandisk, SM 144 monitor
-Atari 1040 STFM, 1 MB RAM, TOS 1.02, SM 124 monitor
  •  

Petari

This happens when writing is generally unreliable. Hddriver then performs retries (when detects write failure), so finally it succeeds. I did not put retries in such cases in my driver. Actually, you are second who reported me such problem.  I would not say that Atari is problem for sure. It may be Satandisk or weak power supply. Maybe only slowing down write could help, bit I'm speed freak  :)
Can you try with some other power supply, which is stronger. Just to be sure in that ...
I can do something with driver, but it will take some time. Hardest part is how to make proper testings - I need to make somehow write unreliable, but not too much ...
  •  

STmartin

I haven't got another stronger 9 V power supply, so I can't check it. But i'm not sure that it's power supply fault. When I try to copy a folder with some files using standard TOS copier, Atari reads only one folder (main folder, which i want to copy) with zero files and it doesn't write it. I tried to copy some files using Kobold utility, and it reads all files, but when it tried to write them on another partition it shows ,,writing error" or something like this. So it's probably something with driver. It may be too fast.
Could you do something with this driver? I don't want very speed copying. It can be slow, but it must work well :)

Regards
Martin
My Atari computers:
  •  

Petari

I think that I explained it all in previous post. And myself can not do everything. As said - write errors never happen by me. I tested driver with Satandisk, with 4 diverse cards, on ST, Mega ST, STE, Mega STE.
Still, we are not sure what is your exact problem. It is simplest to check power supply.
If I can not test changes in driver myself, then it is very troublesome and goes slow ...
  •  

STmartin

Hi!

I have written 2 GB image using another card reader and another computer (laptop with Win7), and writing isn't working properly too. I did some tests:

1. Copying one folder from catalogue 1M on partition C: to partition D: - It doesn't work (zero copied files)
2. Copying folder 1M (with 111 folders in it) from partition C: to partition D: - It copies 6 folders from 111 folders.
3. Copying folder DISKUTIL from partition C: to partition D: - It works properly.

So It has a problem with big files and with files in subdirectory. Where is the problem?

PS: My power supply has 3.6W of power.
My Atari computers:
  •  

Anemos

oh i know what you mean..i have same problem some times.. i have the solution..
try to copy DIR,s from C to others partition with KK Commander !
The last version is the "KK Commander 1.4f "
My system: Atari STE 4MB, OS: SuperTOS 2.06, HD: US/disk 4gb SDcard ,ppera v0.98 HD drivers, USB mouse adapter by me, PSX controller joy adapter by me,  full list of adaption,s games by Petari.
Second Atari machine: 1040 STF
Other: 2X Lilliput Atari 130 XE
  •  

STmartin

OK, I will try it tommorow. Thanks :)!
My Atari computers:
  •  

Anemos

ye have same problem some times..dunno why.
The KK commander is cool,looks like old good Norton Commander for MsDOS.
My system: Atari STE 4MB, OS: SuperTOS 2.06, HD: US/disk 4gb SDcard ,ppera v0.98 HD drivers, USB mouse adapter by me, PSX controller joy adapter by me,  full list of adaption,s games by Petari.
Second Atari machine: 1040 STF
Other: 2X Lilliput Atari 130 XE
  •  

STmartin

My Atari computers:
  •  

Petari

Quote from: STmartin on 28-04-2011, 14:53:13
I have written 2 GB image using another card reader and another computer (laptop with Win7), and writing isn't working properly too. I did some tests:
1. Copying one folder from catalogue 1M on partition C: to partition D: - It doesn't work (zero copied files)
2. Copying folder 1M (with 111 folders in it) from partition C: to partition D: - It copies 6 folders from 111 folders.
3. Copying folder DISKUTIL from partition C: to partition D: - It works properly.
So It has a problem with big files and with files in subdirectory. Where is the problem?
PS: My power supply has 3.6W of power.

It indicates exactly weak power. Problem by power suplies is that they can give more power for short time, but if load lasts longer, then voltage drops. And normally, it happens by longer files. With subdirectories is power load also longer, as there is more access - it needs more writes, reads.

I will try to perform some testings by adding resistor in line with power to Satandisk. But it will take one week minimum until I can post some updated driver with writing retries.
  •  

STmartin

Results from writing tests under KK Commander:
1.Copying one folder from catalogue 1M on partition C: to partition D: - It copies a folder with some files, but not all files are copying.
2.Copying folder 1M (with 111 folders in it) from partition C: to partition D: - KK Commander displays following error: Out of internal memory. Please install Foldr100.PRG. I will test it with Foldr100.PRG in another time.
Edit: I did tests with FOLDR100.PRG patch, and KKCommander copied a folder with most files, but some files didn't copied properly (They had 0 bytes or they had smaller size than original file)
3.Copying folder DISKUTIL from partition C: to partition D: - It works properly.
4.Copying folder from floppy to partit. C: - It works properly. 

So copying with KK Commander works better than with standard TOS copier, but still it isn't ideal.

Petari: OK, I will wait for results of tests with resistor and for updated driver.

My Atari computers:
  •  

Petari

I made test driver, 2 versions :  http://atari.8bitchip.info/USA_98T.ZIP
I couldn't get UltraSatan or Satan to have writing problems. With lower power voltage it just stopped to work complete - reading too.
But found some Atari source files where some DMA problems where described. So, hopefully we can solve this.  Let me know testing results, for both versions. Just run programs with Satan holding SD card with TOS/DOS compatible partitions (2GB or 1GB image) attached and restart machine. Then new driver will autoboot - versions will be shown as 0.98d or 0.98e  .
  •  

STmartin

I've tested these drivers and copying doesn't work properly too. The same problems like with standard driver.
My Atari computers:
  •  

STmartin

My Atari computers:
  •  

Petari

I have now one TT by me - and it is first time that I have errors by writing with Satandisk. So, it may help to track down the problem. But may be that on TT problem is not exactly the same ... Will see. I will work on it during oncoming weekend.
  •