can i use yor driver with the falcon for cubase audio work?

Started by blaylok, 28-12-2010, 16:24:12

Previous topic - Next topic

blaylok

Hi, i am trying to set up my falcon for use with cubase audio falcon.
I have an ide > sd adapter internally, and i have a scsi > cf card adapter inside a scsi hard drive enclosure, plugged into the scsi bus on the falcon.
I have tried and tried several different versions and configurations with hddriver (i have v7.93, v8.21 and v8.23) but i have been unsuccessful to get both drives partitioned and the hddriver installed on both of them at the same time. I can either get the scsi drive partitioned and booting but it doesn't see the ide drive, or i can get the ide drive partitioned and booting but then it doesn't see the scsi drive? Extremely frustrating.
Would i be able to use yor driver for successful use with cubase audio falcon.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
blaylok
  •  

Petari

My driver is not for SCSI devices (or devices connected via SCSI port). Only IDE and ACSI. So, on Falcon only IDE.

I think that you should not overcomplicate things. Better is to go on simpler solution. Considering that IDE is much faster on Falcon than SCSI, I say that is better to go on IDE solution. If you need 2 drives (cards) at once, then go on IDE Master + Slave solution.
There are IDE-CF adapters with 2 CF connectors for that. It is possible to do it with IDE cable and 2 IDE-CF adapters (how it worked well for me on Falcon) but must have pretty short cable - what is not easy to find.
  •  

Shredder11

Cubase Audio Falcon only works with SCSI for direct-to-disk recording and IDE is for MIDI and simple short sample playback.
  •  

blaylok

Thank you both for the replies and information.
I shall probably just continue as petari suggests with cubase 3 (no audio).
I had been hoping to configure cubase audio for hard disk recording. But as shredder said, it relies on scsi, so until i am able to get my external scsi drive up and running then i shall continue making music with v3.
cheers guys
great forum
  •  

Shredder11

For Cubase Audio v2.06 I am using a Fujitsu MAJ3182MC 18.2GB SCSI 3.5" Hard Disk (Compaq BD018635C4) and a Western Digital WD400VE-75HDT1 IDE 2.5" Hard Disk with my Falcon 030 14MB  + 68882 FPU.  I used HD Driver v7.93 to format and partition the drives and it worked fine.  The other hardware interfaces connected are a Steinberg FA8 and a Soundpool SPDIF, which has an ART DPSII digital valve preamp connected;  this means I can record high quality clean mics and guitars and keyboards/modules etc.  I have not used this setup much due to personal circumstances this year, but I do know it handled eight audio tracks absolutely fine.

Hope this helps.
  •  

blaylok

Hey Shredder, thanks man for the reassurance that i can get all this to work.
Ok, so i need to start trialling older scsi drives and ide drives in order to find something that hddriver 7.93 will like? Is that it?
I also have a Steinberg FA8 and FDI. So i am keen to get it all up running, as i have been let down by pc based systems over the years and have returned to the Atari for music creation.
I shall have a hunt around and see if i can find any of the two drives u mentioned. Thank you very much :-)
  •  

Shredder11

I bought those drives mentioned earlier this year very cheaply on Ebay, and in perfect condition so you should be able to find something.  The IDE drive is 100% silent like a CompactFlash card, but the drive I have is sealed all round; it cost me about £10 but they go for £20 on average.  The SCSI drive cost about £1 per drive with approx £6 postage; it is an 80-pin type drive but a simple 80 to 50 adapter is only £2 or so on Ebay (auction number: 150483818691).  I got the low profile adapter so it would fit inside a hard drive silencing enclosure.

As for doe HD Driver prefer certain drives I am not sure yet.  I had a cheap IBM 1GB drive circa 1995 which initially worked fine with CAF and then stopped working, when I got over confident and tried a CF card on the SCSI port.  The CF worked but not with CAF and then the IBM drive no longer worked.  Maybe one of the experts on here or Atari-Forum (Simbo) would have known better than me how to re-configure it to work again.  The Fuji/Compaq SCSI drive I have now has stopped working once or twice, but I can get that going again with little trouble.

Oh and I too for the time being have moved away from PCs back to the Atari.  I started out with cassette four tracks; then a Fostex DMT8 v2 + D5 DAT digital multitrack setup and then the stupid move to a PC in a box thing.  I'm not stupid or inexperienced when it comes to PCs and music, but I have wasted ten years on trying to get it as good as the Fostex + Atari combination.  So back to the Atari and this time the Falcon 030!
  •