Adaptation of games continues ..

Started by Anemos, 04-11-2010, 15:57:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Petari

Then, it is how programmers made it. I did not change anything in game related with controls.
What I doo is correcting floppy loading part - to hard disk access, By need fix some problematic code parts - to achieve work on TT, Falcon. Adding trainer, cheat options.

But if you desparately want to play in racing mode with jozstick, I may try to disable that disabling of mouse/joystick selector - what should do the trick, I guess.

Why better with mouse ?  It is analogue, same like steering wheel in cars,  gas(power) controll (we say 'gas pedal' for), and even braking is analogue.
And btw. mouse is mandatory for modern fps games like Quake, Unreal Tournament and countless others :-) .
  •  

Petari

OK, I did mentioned disabling of disabling  :)  .  Now can play in Racing mode with joystick too.
Just be patient with that settings menu - it is little confusing.  Must cycle mode in right order, so that Racing mode come after Arcade mode, then will not disable joystick selection.  I never got completely logic of this game  - sometimes need to press left mouse button, sometimes right to move on ...
  •  

èné

I downloaded Vroom again from your web page then tried everything I could but for the life of me i can't have a run in the racing mode with the joystick, only the mouse seems to works  :(
In the main menu for example, I select Arcade Mode so that right after i'm able to reach the joystick/mouse button. Once the joystick mode is selected, I go back to the top button then select Racing Mode. But when I do this, the game automatically put the settings back to mouse..
Before this method, I first selected  the Racing Mode and tried to reach the mouse/joystick option, but that's still not possible (the game doesn't allow me to reach that button)..

I'm not saying it doesn't work (i admit it sounds so) i may have done something wrong but i don't know what exactly  ::)

To clear things out, i requested a joystick option because i wanted to have a go in the racing mode for once (never tried it mainly due to the stupid only-mouse choice restriction) I mean, really, it's not important, i will try again, thank you for your patch anyway
  •  

Petari

What works is:  point on mode selection, then cycle with left or right mouse button so, that racing mode appear right after arcade mode. Don't go down to controller selection. If you do it right, controller selection will not go red/disabled, and after it you can go down and select joystick. Then just go to start and click.
  •  

èné

It's not that i don't want but i just can't make it work..

But anyway i've just remembered about a game called F1 which is actually the same than Vroom (maybe with differents or/and additionals tracks). It was released by Domark. Well in this game, there are Arcade and Racing mode included as well (Racing being called Championship mode). In the championship mode, you're allowed to play with  the joystick if you want  :). As this feature (joystick mode) was planned in this release, I think it's the best thing to do  ;D

I'm sorry but i've just thought about this game now  :D. Hope you understand my point of view and thank you again for your patience.
  •  

Petari

If I remember well, in F1 Domark, joystick is also disabled in Racing mode. It is on my DL page too, near to top.

Anyway, I will go again in hacking (when will have some time), and will try to make some better solution, what will work always.
Then can add it to both games.
  •  

èné

Quote from: Petari on 01-03-2012, 14:11:45
If I remember well, in F1 Domark, joystick is also disabled in Racing mode.
Works perfectly for me. Maybe because it's a cracked version (didn't check your page), I grabbed the first version i found. Or perhaps your memory is not perfect  ;D

Quote from: Petari on 01-03-2012, 14:11:45Anyway, I will go again in hacking (when will have some time), and will try to make some better solution, what will work always.
Then can add it to both games.
Appreciated. Thanks.
  •  

Petari

Not perfect, but pretty good  :)
Anyway, I modded both games (after first, second was easy) - so now you certainly can play with joystick in both - Racing mode in Vroom and Championship in F1 .
Still have no real Atari ?  I have feeling that you playing in Steem .
  •  

èné

Quote from: Petari on 02-03-2012, 10:30:33
Anyway, I modded both games
Cheers Petari, works perfectly, i only tried Vroom though

Quote from: Petari on 02-03-2012, 10:30:33
Still have no real Atari ?  I have feeling that you playing in Steem .
Never felt the need to get a real Atari for some reasons. I'm happy with Steem, works pretty good and it's more flexible to me (memory snapshots, you can set higher cpu settings, fast forward key, and many more). It really is an excellent emulator and very intuitive. Would need some adjustments here and there, but I think it's just fine the way it is. Moreover the machine cannot break like in real hardware, and this is a very important point to me  :)
  •  

Petari

Indeed that good emulator has some extra features not possible or hardly achievable by real HW.
But considering hard disk adaptations: they are made for real HW in first place. And playing them on emulator has real sense only if they offer some more comfort - no need to 'change' floppies, or there are some extra cheats, moddings in game.

For sure that after some 10 years, number of well working Ataris will be small - then age will be over 30 years.  So, we are in last decade of using real HW. That may be the reason for some to get oldie.  And there are some rare cases when emulators work not exactly accurate.
Btw. even Steem can break. Yesterday, after reset it just booted not again anymore.  I needed to delete ini file, and do all settings from begin. And it was not first time.
  •  

èné

Come on, you know what I mean by saying 'the machine cannot break'. As you said yourself, you deleted the .ini file and the problem was fixed, so no need to have any knowledge in opposite to hardware machines. ST were good technically wise but they are old machines, if something bad happens I would be in real trouble.. Floopies too can get damaged with time.

I understand your point but emulation has just too many advantages over the real thing to me. All my st stuff have been backuped onto my external HD, it saves space in your room and can be carry easily, but i think it's just a matter of how you feel retrogaming most of all, I don't feel the need to get a real ST, as simple as that  :D 
  •  

Anemos

If I had not come in contact with the old age Atari,(1989~90 with Atari STF 1040) it will was enough to emulator, is not only the retro-feeling, are strong memories also.
Any way also for me the real hardware is real.
For hardware fault : my friend has got my first 1040 STF and working as new after many years!!
My system: Atari STE 4MB, OS: SuperTOS 2.06, HD: US/disk 4gb SDcard ,ppera v0.98 HD drivers, USB mouse adapter by me, PSX controller joy adapter by me,  full list of adaption,s games by Petari.
Second Atari machine: 1040 STF
Other: 2X Lilliput Atari 130 XE
  •  

Petari

Quote from: èné on 05-03-2012, 03:46:10
..'. As you said yourself, you deleted the .ini file and the problem was fixed, so no need to have any knowledge in opposite to hardware machines...
Not exactly. After deleting you need to set everything again - and it may take about 30 min or more. So, in fact more time than replacing some chip in computer :D  
OK, just kidding, but for some people ini corruption is big problem - they even don't know how to delete, edit some file.

Considering HW faults:  Ataris are generally reliable, with quality components. Failures happen of course, but not much, still. With PCs too.
"Floopies too can get damaged with time. " - And who wise uses still floppies ? Why to hell I do hard disk adapts ? And you have other ways to avoid floppy usage:  HxC floppy emulator and Image Runner for instance.
  •  

Anemos

Wow! " 600 records found "
and the latest games is very nice.  :)
My system: Atari STE 4MB, OS: SuperTOS 2.06, HD: US/disk 4gb SDcard ,ppera v0.98 HD drivers, USB mouse adapter by me, PSX controller joy adapter by me,  full list of adaption,s games by Petari.
Second Atari machine: 1040 STF
Other: 2X Lilliput Atari 130 XE
  •  

Official Ninja

Hi PP. I'm really enjoying the Silkworm adaption. Thanks.
The game is pretty ridiculous as far as difficulty in some parts, but thats what the infinite lives are for. ;-)
This Haga seems to be working well. I use ICD driver and haven't had any troubles running the new patches.

So, are you going to go back and re-do some of the older stuff? Like Blasteroids, or Invaders (a personal favorite of mine)?

•