Main Menu

ACC bootable from C:\

Started by èné, 06-01-2015, 00:34:25

Previous topic - Next topic

èné

Hi Petari, can you make this boot from C:\ ?

I tried to change  'A:' with 'C:'  but this time it didn't do the trick (still ask me to insert the disk in A:)

https://www.zeta-uploader.com/820232101
  •  

èné

I tried again, very hard, but just can't make it work. It's perhaps only a word or even a character to change but when you don't know the thing, it's just impossible. It's very frustrating !  ::)

I'd really appreciated any tip if you have an idea of what makes this tool to ask for disk A before he loads ACCs ???

I actually can make it work from drive C using a tool that redirect drive accesses (he kind of fool the program by making it believe he is on drive A) - The only catch is that I have to type A -> C every time I boot Steem.

Any ideas please ?  :P
  •  

Petari

I checked it. This is not about changing A to C. I used real hard disk emulation in Steem (using Pasti and image file), and it just crashes every time when boot, regardless from TOS version. So, not possible to run from real hard disk. Better said, you can run via Floppy Image Runner - what also fools SW, to see it as running from A. 
And I don't see what is purpose of this program  - can you describe it in short, and how to use ?
  •  

èné

Sorry, should have inserted doc in zip :
DC STuffer allows you to load in more than six desk accessories (DAs) into
GEM.  DC STuffer acts just like the desktop, you can open up any desk
accessory, and if it does not take complete control of the desktop
(or the program you are running) you can go to DC STuffer again to open
another desk accessory.

INSTRUCTIONS for version 1.0
============================

We hope you enjoy using DC STuffer.  Here is how to use version 1.0:

Simply place STUFFER.ACC with your normal boot-up DAs.  Any DA you wish
to be loaded by DC STuffer must be placed in the folder STUFFER which
MUST be in the ROOT directory of your boot disk.

If you wish to abort the loading, press the RIGHT SHIFT button at any time
before or during the loading sequence.

DC STuffer will ALWAYS leave at least 128K of memory for the operation of
programs and the desktop.  If the load stops prematurely, you have either
loaded in 32 DAs, or have 128K or less left of memory.

When you select DC STuffer from the DESK menu you will be presented with
either 0-20 DA names, or 18 DA names and arrows to scroll through the DA
names, in a drop-down menu similar to the desktop's menu.  The DAs will be
highlighted similar to the desktop menu.  When the DA you want to activate
is highlighted, press the left mouse button.

Pressing the right mouse button while at the DC STuffer menu will exit
DC STuffer, as will moving the mouse into the menubar area, or clicking
outside of the drop-down menu.

You can load up to 20 DAs and access them at a glance when DC STuffer is
selected.  If, however, you load in more than 20 DAs, you will see 18 DAs
and up and down scroll arrows.  Click on the arrows to go up or down in the
DA list.  If you can no longer go in the desired direction, the arrows will
be disabled and not selectable.

EXTRAS
======

Load - allows you to load in a DA at will.  You can do this at the desktop
       or within a program

Unload - allows you to unload ALL DAs while only at the desktop.

It's kind of MULTDESK clone, allowing you to 'exceed' the 6 acc limit in gem - but seems better (less memory used, less compatibility issue, can load/unload acc at will like Chameleon - but this last option is for version 1.0 only). I tried it from disk A and it works pretty well. I also run it from C but as already said, I must use a tool which redirect A to C each time I boot Steem (so I must press 'A' then 'C' everytime - it may sounds nothing, it's just boring to do it everytime) ::)
The Drive Divertor allows you to run software that is designed for floppy only systems on a hard disk.
This is achieved by intercepting any disk accesses at GEMDOS level before the Operating System gets its
hands on them. The Drive Divertor gets its hands on disk accesses by redirecting  the TRAP #1 vector.

So if I understand you, it's not possible to make a patch which would make it compatible with the hard drive :( It's a pity.
I don't know about Floppy Image Runner - Maybe I should have a look at it?
  •  

Petari

I did not say that is not possible to patch it. But it may be pretty much time needed to achieve that. Must tracing it and understanding code.
I thought that 6 ACC is more than enough :-)
Image Runner is not good for your purpose, I guess, because it works with floppy images.
I will look about, but little later ...
  •  

èné

Nevermind Petari, its'ok - I mean it's just a soft i'm trying for fun (even if it seems to offer real benefits) and thank's for the suggestion.

But no, sorry to say, 6 accs is definitly not enough :D I have about 30 of them - I just wish I could use more than 6  (of course, not all of them are worth booting with gem :)

Anyway, I've just realized I uploaded version 0.9 - I put a new link with version 1.0 (which has option to load/unload accs at will). So if you think it's worth release a patch one of these days, better to do it with this version.

http://www.filedropper.com/stuffer10
  •