Using Flashable TOS 4X and IDE Interface 2.0 in Atari STE

Started by Arthur, 11-06-2011, 13:38:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

Hello ppera,

I will tune an old STE with Flashable TOS 4X and IDE Interface 2.0.
Is that makable? I will desolder  the CPU-Socket  and solder a selfmade DIL CPU-Adapter for better stability to do this.
Anything else I should know? Btw, the ASCI-Interface does not find any hardisk. The STE has the old ST DMA-Chip on the mainboard.

Regards Arthur
  •  

Petari

IDE in STE and flashable TOS: possible of course. But it will need some new GAL logic - without TOS 1.00-1.04 support. Only IDE and Flashing support.

ASCI IF ?? U mean ACSI,  in STE ?  With what ACSI adapter booting not ? It should boot even with 'bad' DMA chip . I'm not sure that old ST DMA chip is OK for STE. In STE we have added line drivers for ACSI port, while in ST not. Why you replaced DMA chip ?
  •  

Arthur

Quote from: Petari on 14-06-2011, 14:00:27
IDE in STE and flashable TOS: possible of course. But it will need some new GAL logic - without TOS 1.00-1.04 support. Only IDE and Flashing support.

I think in this case it is better we use only TOS 2.06 without flash support and the IDE 2.0 Interface.

Quote from: Petari on 14-06-2011, 14:00:27
ASCI IF ?? U mean ACSI,  in STE ?  With what ACSI adapter booting not ? It should boot even with 'bad' DMA chip . I'm not sure that old ST DMA chip is OK for STE. In STE we have added line drivers for ACSI port, while in ST not. Why you replaced DMA chip ?

Yes, I mean ACSI. Some Atari STE computers has by factory default the old DMA-Chip from the ST. In most cases this DMA chip works not correctly in the STE series. I haven't replace the DMA chip.
  •  

Petari

You can use TOS 1.06 ,  1.62,   MagiC and TOS 2.06 without problems in STE . It makes 4 ! .  1.00-1.04 is not good as it uses different address space.  New GAL logic is nothing special or complicated, just omitting support for old address space.
($FC0000-$FEFFFF) .
Actually, all what we need there is IDE and Flash EPROM write support.
Considering old DMA chip in STE : I guess that you must replace it if want to use ACSI port ...

•